In order to tackle the dilemmas confronting our continent it is imperative that we understand and challenge the prevailing economic orthodoxies, develop new modes of thinking about economic issues, and build power behind alternatives. These are the main goals of this convening. Specifically, the objectives of the meeting include:
- deconstructing conventional economic assumptions and the political structures which were designed to entrench these;
- interrogating the economic paradigms which can lead to inclusive and broad-based development and best serve social justice imperatives in the African context;
- surfacing alternative models and providing a safe space for alternative thinking;
- exploring ways of advancing progressive and/or heterodox approaches to economics in African universities and think tanks; and
- supporting movements across Africa to advance an agenda of rights-based advocacy and economic justice to advance the achievement of development and human rights.