TrustAfrica seeks to build the capacity of civil society organizations to advocate for dramatic changes to governance and equitable development. We support groups and coalitions working to:
- Monitor naitonal policies on key issues--including freedom of association, freedom of expression, free movement of people, and civic participation in setting development priorities--and conduct advocacy campaigns aimed at securing and safeguarding the right to exercise these freedoms. We also back efforts to combat policies that fuel xenophobia and religious intolerance.
- Engage regional institutions to improve the application of democratic norms and standards, such as the African Charter on Democracy, Elections and Governance.
- Augment the advocacy skills and increase their access to policymakers. We provide financial support and technical assistance to help organizations in countries with particularly fragile democracies, as well as those in post-conflict countries, to attain requisite competencies.
- Improve their accountability and transparency and broaden their constituencies of support, in part by reaching out to Africa's private sector as a potential ally in strengthening democracy.
At TrustAfrica, we believe that an active citizenry is an essential part of a prospering, sustainable, and democractic society. We focus on these critical issues:
- Political Governance: Strengthening civil society to encourage citizen participation and provide an alternative to government systems.
- Economic Governance: Fighting against corruption and economic mismanagement and strengthening domestic resources.